As I sit here on my balcony enjoying the warm (tropically humid) evening, I’m thinking of all the reasons I love summer. One would be the Summer Shandy I’m drinking at the moment. I love summer for multiple reasons but my personal favorite is the bold colors and new beauty trends that summer brings. My place of work is a godsend for fashion junkies like myself; as a hair and makeup stylist for Aveda, I get to express myself daily with makeup (I LOVE a bold lip) hair and nails. Which is exactly what I’m writing about tonight. I’m going to share some pictures, tips, and things that I am loving for summer 2014. Enjoy!
A few posts back, guest writer Maggie Carr (my partner in crime & cousin) talked about ditching the hot tools for spring hair looks. Well the same goes for summer ladies! I will admit, I’m a huge fan of wavy curls, I style my hair like that 75% of the time with my curling iron. However, the blow dryer is my enemy in summer so the other 25% of the time, I’m air drying my hair in braids, or going to bed with braids in wet/dry hair then shaking out my hair the next day.
A 1 ¼” or 1 ½” curling iron is perfect to create curls and waves like Julianne Houghs’. Remember, start your curl in the mid section of the hair, wrap away from your face and towards your scalp. Starting your curl at your ends will create a Shirley Temple style curl and while we will always love her, nobody wants that look.
Messy undone looks of a fishtail or regular braid leaves killer unkempt waves the next day, as pictured below. Just remember to pull outwards on the braid and rough it up a little, to create that messy unkempt look like Blake Lively and Amanda Seyfried show, when wearing the braid out and about.
Messy wave look, achieved! This also shows soft sun kissed highlights, with the still popular ombre effect, of letting your natural hair color grow.
Summer make up should be fresh, simple, and natural. Less is more for daytime! (Don’t forget the sunscreen!) For a night look I like to add some liquid eyeliner on the top lash line (keep the bottom lash line clean for a wider eyed look) to create a cat eye effect that is being seen on Every. Single. Runway. And of course, a bold lip. Nude lips are absolutely fine, but like I said, I love bold, so give me corals, pinks and reds!
LC is always one who comes to mind when I think of a simple fresh-faced look. She always looks flawless like this and is one of the many celebrities who is on the cat eye liner trend. I’ve included a how-to link down below.
I love this clean & bronzed look with a coral lip! Less is more in the summer so don’t be afraid to put aside the winter makeup routine and keep it natural with some bronzer, light blush, mascara & lips as shown above.
This. This is everything. I’m dying. The brows! The lips! The hair! Cara Delevingne is fashion’s current “it” girl, on every single run way, and is absolutely owning it in this picture. I’m literally obsessed with the natural brow look that is on trend right now, thanks to this bombshell. Also, her fuchsia lips are an excellent pink for summer!
How To Cat Eye Liner
This link above shows a little step by step trick to creating the cat eye look yourself, with some liquid liner and scotch tape. Yes..tape. For my cat eye look I like to use L’Oreal Infallible Never Fail Lacquer Liner.
Here are some lip colors that I’m currently loving.
NYX “Indie Flick”
Aveda “Cana” (limited edition color that will be available soon for good on the shelf!)
Maybelline “Neon Red”
NYX “Perfect Red”
L’Oreal Color Riche Lipstick “True Red”
MAC “Lady Danger”
Smashbox “Fuchsia Flash”
NYX “Summer Breeze”
Aveda “Peruvian Lily” (This is a limited edition color that will be gone soon!!)
Estee Lauder “Rubellite Shimmer”
Estee Lauder “Pink Shimmer” (Pure Color Gloss)
Maybelline Baby Lips “Pink Punch”
I have always been one to match my nail polish and my toe nail polish. (I blame my OCD with matching/organizing.) I’ve also always been one to stick to blacks, deep purples, dark reds, and grays, even in summer. This year, I’m breaking out of my shell and keeping on trend with what’s in…Neon colors and NOT matching your nails to your toes. (That last step was a big one for me.)
Yep, totally have the neon green & orange on my nails & toes respectively.
So there you have it my friends! A few of my favorite summer trends for 2014; I hope you found some of them interesting and even helpful. I would like to thank my best friend Julia for asking and trusting me to contribute to Sensible Chaos and thank you to those who took the time to read this post! I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the summer, filled with bright lips and neon nails!
All visual content is copyrighted to its respective owners. If you own rights to any of the content and wish to have it removed please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.